Alabama Therapeutic Education Facility (ATEF)
|102 Industrial Parkway
P.O. Box 1970
Columbiana, AL 35051
Phone: (205) 669-1187
Fax: (205) 669-1178
Alabama Department of Corrections
724 adult males and females
Click here for the ATEF Visitation Policy
Click here for the 2015 Visitation Schedule: H-1 and T-1 (Program)
CEC/ATEF has a “zero-tolerance” policy relative to sexual misconduct.
- The Alabama Therapeutic Education Facility (ATEF) opened in March 2008 and is a residential reentry center that uses tested cognitive behavioral reentry treatment and vocational training to help offenders change their criminal thinking and behaviors.
- ATEF is the first and largest residential reentry facility of its kind in the region.
- The facility was designed by Community Education Centers, Inc. (CEC) in conjunction the Alabama Department of Corrections and Department of Post- secondary Education.
- The goal of the facility is to provide an intensive treatment program that emphasizes relapse prevention and preparation for transfer into a work-release program.
- Vocational training is provided by the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education.
- The assessment process at ATEF uses standardized and actuarially based instruments to gather information to determine an offender's current risk factors for public safety concerns and recidivism.
- The assessment evaluation also gathers data to determine an offender's current treatment needs. After the data collection is complete, trained CEC staff develop an assessment report used to create an individualized reentry treatment plan for each offender during his/her stay at the ATEF.
- The treatment component consists of carefully selected therapeutic services including individual and group counseling; cognitive-behavioral training; substance abuse treatment; educational services; life skills; cultural diversity programs; family program; workforce development activities; work-release services; faith-based services.
- The components are delivered in a variety of contexts, including lecture format, classroom instruction, small group sessions, and individual counseling.
- ATEF is accredited by the American Correctional Association (ACA) and scored a perfect 100% on all mandatory and non-mandatory standards during its last accreditation.